Megan was fifteen when she ordered a takeaway with a friend through the Just Eat website, in December 2016.

She detailed her allergies – “prawns, nuts” – in the online form. However, the meal she was sent from the Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle was later found to contain “widespread presence” of peanut protein.

When her mother picked her up, there was nothing unusual about her appearance, and she was in good spirits. It wasn’t until later that evening that Megan suffered an acute asthma attack. She was taken to hospital by ambulance, but died just two days later, have suffered fatal brain damage.

The Royal Spice takeaway was found to be in breach of several food hygiene and standards regulations, with no allergen control systems in place, no information about allergens included on the menu, and no record of the ingredients used. It was shut down immediately.

In 2016, the takeaway owner and manager were found guilty of manslaughter.

Take action: join the campaign

Related stories

JOANNA’S STORY

“We were a typical family working hard and trying to bring up a young family, when tragically we lost our 6 year old daughter Joanna after she ate contaminated meat which contained the deadly bacterium E.coli O157.”

EDWARD’S STORY

“One of my most memorable cases was a takeaway in the Borough called Golden Dragon which I received a complaint about from a consumer.”

MASON’S STORY

In 2005, the UK’s second biggest outbreak of E.coli O157 struck 44 schools in south Wales. 157 people fell ill during the outbreak, many of them children.

Sign up to our mailing list












We hold and manage your details in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. We won’t share, sell or swap your information with other organisations for their own marketing purposes.